Skip to content

Is Your House Killing You?

October 22, 2015

Is Your House Killing You

Your home is your refuge, your safe haven from outside. It protects you from the weather, it protects you and your family from intruders, and gives you a place where you can rest feeling secure.

Little do you know, however, your house may be hiding something toxic inside. Every house contains the risk of certain dangers, some with immediate effects, and some that cause problems slowly over time. The worst part is, we usually do not know these threats are present.

The best thing you can do is educate yourself on the potential dangers inside your home, so you can proactively check on them from time to time and avoid problems.

Below are some examples of the most common threats inside a home:

  • Carbon monoxide leaks. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that is deadly. Any malfunction in your gas appliances can leak carbon monoxide into the air. When inhaled, both people and animals can develop carbon monoxide poisoning, and if the problem is not detected quickly, it can lead to unexpected death.
  • Your stairs and upstairs window may seem functional and harmless, but never forget that they do present a falling hazard. Falls can cause painful injuries and even death, depending on how a person lands, so the best way to avoid them is to always exercise caution and not become careless.
  • It may be from your chimney, your stove, your appliances, or from a candle. Fire can devour your home in no time at all because as the fire gets bigger, it spreads faster and faster. Always use care when dealing with open flames.
  • In extreme circumstances, electrocution can be deadly, and even the most minor shocks are painful. Short circuits, overloading, malfunctioning outlets, and the mishandling of electrical systems are the top causes for getting electrocuted.
  • Mold growth. When they see mold in their home, many people simply associate it with too much humidity or water in a certain area. However, the presence of mold should not be taken lightly, because it can be very harmful to the body and cause respiratory problems, asthma attacks, and allergic reactions.
  • Too many VOCs. This is especially applicable to homes that are undergoing renovations or storing paint at home. VOCs, or volatile organic compaounds, can cause intense headaches and respiratory disorders, so keeping products with high VOCs in the house is a huge risk.

Old and decomposing or corroding house materials. If you have a deck or porch that has old and decomposing wood, for example, have it repaired immediately. You do not want to risk falling through and hurting yourself.

Chris George Homes
Oklahoma City Realtor
Let’s get in touch: 405.843.8188

Advertisements
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: